How to Succeed with the NYU Supplemental Essay 2021-2022
October 6, 2021
How to Succeed with the NYU Supplemental Essay 2021-2022
You might always have wanted to attend the Tisch School of Arts as an aspiring dancer. Or, you might have become interested in the Stern School of Business recently when your commitment to entrepreneurism developed. Regardless of how long it has been one of your top choices, you’ve got your eyes on New York University. It will be important to express this interest to their admissions officers! Just saying you want to go to school in New York City isn’t specific enough. You must take advantage of the NYU supplemental essay 2021-2022 in a way that will help admissions officers understand why you’d be a perfect fit for one of their academic programs.
The overall acceptance rate at NYU is 12.8%, so you know the school is selective. Because NYU offers so many specialized majors, you write a strong, specific response to the NYU supplemental essay 2021-2022 that reflects your interest in your school of choice and field of choice. Read on to find out the best ways to approach the prompt alongside some additional tips to assure your success.
Prompt for the NYU Supplemental Essay 2021-2022
We would like to know more about your interest in NYU. What motivated you to apply to NYU? Why have you applied or expressed interest in a particular campus, school, college, program, and or area of study? If you have applied to more than one, please also tell us why you are interested in these additional areas of study or campuses. We want to understand - Why NYU? (400 words)
When you choose New York University as one of your colleges in the Common App, you’ll also have to specify which of NYU’s campuses you want to apply to between the ones in New York City, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai. If you want to attend the NYC campus, you have to apply to one of the following colleges:
- The College of Arts and Sciences
- Gallatin School of Individualized Study
- Liberal Studies
- Meyers College of Nursing
- School of Professional Studies
- Silver School of Social Work
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Stern School of Business
- Tandon School of Engineering
- Tisch School of Arts
This is a classic “why our school” question, but somewhat more nuanced. Admissions officers don’t just want to know why you’re applying to NYU generally; they expect your response to the NYU supplemental essay 2021-2022 to go into greater detail about the campus(es), school, and major you’ve picked. While 400 words might seem to be a luxury compared to the word limit for many schools, it’s not a lot when you have to talk about the campus, the college, and the program.
Carefully divide up your answer. Think about what makes you excited to attend college in Abu Dhabi, Shanghai, or NYC. But, don’t over-fixate on the location because your main focus should lie in explaining why NYU is the best place to pursue your interests and goals. Think about specific resources that are available within your chosen department that you can’t find elsewhere.
Notice that this essay should mainly cover academics. NYU’s clubs and student organizations may make it an alluring place for you, but the question explicitly asks about your choice of study. Look through the website and think about what you can write about that won’t be common in other students’ essays. Is there a professor whose research resonates with you? Would a particular acting class perfectly fit in with your 10-year plan? Remember that admissions officers are trying to figure out why you’d make the most of your experience on campus. So, talk elaborately about how you would take advantage of the facilities and give them a sense of the ways in which you’d make a valuable addition in the classroom.
Additional Tips for the NYU Supplemental Essay 2021-2022
- Know which NYU school and major you want to apply to and write about it - Your response to the NYU supplemental essay 2021-2022 prompt must be very specific. Since you only have the opportunity to choose one college and one major, think as specifically as you can about what you plan to study. Would your interests be defined by the broader “Cinema Studies” major at the College of Arts and Sciences or are your profile and goals more suited towards the “Film and Television” or “Interactive Media Arts” programs at the Tisch School? NYU pays careful attention to your demonstrated commitment within your field of study as well as your potential to make an impact. Once you’ve decided which campus and which college or program best suits you, it’s time to make sure your supplemental essay reflects that you’re a good fit.
- If you’ve attended information sessions, let the school know - NYU is one of the schools that tracks your demonstrated interest. As a result, it helps to write about what you’ve learned about the school through information sessions, online events, campus tours in your NYU supplemental essay 2021-2022. The greater detail you add in your response, the better admissions officers can understand that you really have committed to doing your research, and the greater your chances of showing that you’re the right fit. Making the effort to show them you’re interested adds a small boost to your profile!
The NYU supplemental essay 2021-2022 is a combined “why school” + “why major” essay that really wants you to dig deep and convey why this school, with its campuses and specialized majors, would help you reach your goals. Show the admissions officers that you’re passionate about the university and you’ll be able to put your best foot forward in making a strong case for yourself. Good luck!